Strava

Monday 25 February 2013

Run review: Swinsty and Fewston reservoirs

This Sunday I woke up with nothing to do and all day to do it, so what better, I thought, than deciding on somewhere epic to run, rather than setting off down the canal again for the Nth time. Don't get me wrong, the Leeds-Liverpool canal can be really lovely, but in winter, with all the litter exposed in the bushes by the lack of foliage, it loses some of its romance. Call me crazy, but semi-submerged traffic cones and shopping trollies don't do it for me either. Surely, living in one of the more beautiful parts of the world I could find somewhere better.

I've walked around Swinsty and Fewston reservoirs a long while ago and mainly in the dark, so I didn't remember them well. Looking them up though, it seemed like it might be a nice place to run with a path that seemed fool-proof to a navigation-phobe like myself.
Then came the kit decision, would it be freezing cold? Would it be muddy? Would it rain?
I climbed in to the car with a giant, stuffed-full carrier bag, looking like I was off to Oxfam to donate 10 year's worth of clothing. On arrival I would be able to kit myself out for any conditions ranging from Saharan Africa to the Antarctic.

As it turned out, it was a slightly chilly day, so a long sleeved top and t shirt sufficed, the hat, gloves and buff stayed in the car. I looked slightly less silly and wimpy than usual, tights aside.
The trainer choice was more tricky. Would I need the trail runners or would my normal running shoes do? And if I chose the bright orange trail runners, would it ruin the look of my outfit?
I took a gamble on the normal runners - the paths looked well kept that I could see.

I have to say, this was one of the more pleasant runs I've ever done, oblivious dog-walkers excepted.
The paths are incredibly well maintained, in fact I'd go as far as to say they are the best I have ever been on. The scenery around the reservoirs is really lovely and it keeps close to the water as you go around.
I lapped each reservoir, crossing over between them to form a figure-eight.
Here's the route (Ignore the slight spiky detour at the bottom of Swinsty, that was a teeny error)



My fears of a wind and rain swept run didn't materialise and I managed not to trip over any dogs OR punch any oblivious owners.  The path gently undulated providing a good challenge without being too much for a lazy Sunday afternoon bimble.

So my conclusion is: If you want a pleasant, easy, Sunday afternoon run in lovely surroundings, with perfect paths and no navigation, and running up embankments occasionally to avoid the odd canine doesn't bother you, then look no further. I have to admit though, I don't think I would attempt this on a weekend in summer. The battle through the crowds would probably be too much.
And park in the northern car park- there's an ice cream van in there!



No comments:

Post a Comment