Strava

Monday 15 April 2013

The sad news from the Boston marathon

As I type, the shocking news is still unravelling about the incidents at the Boston marathon. It doesn't seem right at this minute to bang on about my week's running.

For those of you who don't know, currently, the news is that two bombs have exploded at the finish of the Boston marathon, killing 2 people and injuring up to 50. A third explosion took place at the city library. Although we don't know exactly what has happened yet, it seems more than likely the explosions were caused by bombs.

It's difficult to express the contempt you feel for people who perpetrate these terrible crimes. We can be fairly sure this isn't an attack on runners as such, but a strategic hit on a very large public event designed to cause maximum disruption, terror and fear.

The anger is boiling in me, but of course, this is exactly the emotion that allowed the psychopaths who did this to carry out their actions. Instead I will tunnel my actions in a positive way. I will run the Manchester marathon remembering the people killed and injured in Boston. Rather than the fear that this was supposed to spread, it will galvanise me and has made me more determined than ever to complete my first marathon in 2 weeks.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to all the people affected by this moronic and terrible event.

No comments:

Post a Comment