Strava

Monday 18 February 2013

Snow running

No, I'm not sure what's going on with maniacal smile either

I am very used to being called a nutter, strange, mad and all the rest for being a runner, but this is usually from non-runners. Last week, however, I experienced the odd experience of having fellow runners call me similar names. Why? Snow running!

Leeds experienced some bizarre weather on Wednesday. I woke up at 11am (I'd done a night shift, before you judge/feel jealous) to see the beginning of a snow storm. There was a very light dusting of snow on the pavements outside. By the time I left for work 3 hours later, there was around 4 inches of snow on the ground. An hour after that and one abandoned car, I trudged in to work 40 minutes late. By the time it stopped snowing that evening something like 6 inches had fallen.
One can tell when one has become an adult when one sees snow and doesn't think "Yay!!" but instead, "Oh dear, that'll cause some traffic problems" and also, when one starts referring to oneself as "one".
The only upside for me, was that I would be able to go for a run in the snow later. When my friends found out about this, I got the usual incredulity from the non-runners, but I also got it from the runners too!

A walker on Skiddaw in the lake district a couple of years ago

I arrived home from work and excitedly pulled on my bright orange trail runners. I have become a huge wimp when it comes to running in cold weather these days, so I also pulled on a long-sleeved compression top, a t-shirt, a soft shell jacket, full length tights, hat, buff and gloves too.  And off I set. Once again I quickly returned to the sense of childhood joy as the snow squeezed and squelched under my feet making wonderful crunching and flatulence noises depending on whether I was hitting hard snow or the rapidly thawing stuff. I felt the trail runners gripping in and enjoyed the extra challenge of controlling the reduced friction under my feet.

The trail runners, in warmer times
So why do most runners have such a fear of running in the snow? They think they're going to slip and fall. Pretty simple really. Same adult voice that warns them about the traffic chaos coming because of the snow.
The fact is though, most runners have never tried running in the snow. Fear stops them, but is it really so hard?
Well.....no, it's not.

In fact, I run on ice too. I used to do it before I had fancy, extra grippy trail running shoes too. So here's my theory:
You hit the snow/ice much harder when running than you do when walking, thus the ice/snow that you struggle to walk on, can be run on. Sure, your feet skid a little from under you, but it's more than doable. Don't try to stop or change direction or stop too quickly though, obv, for that way lieth disaster.

The next day the snow was all but gone and the traffic was moving again. Shame, I thought, I won't get to do another snow run.

I'm not saying snow/ice running is for everyone, I've got a pretty good sense of balance and my feet skidding under me doesn't faze me too much, but if you can lose your fear and go for it, then it can be a wonderful feeling.

Here's my snow running tips:

1) Run with confidence
2) Trail running shoes will help, but they're not actually essential
3) Don't panic when you feel your feet slipping a little under you, it doesn't mean they're not gripping at all
4) Give yourself extra time to stop and change direction, take extra care at road crossings
5) Buy decent cold weather running gear if you're a wimp like me - keep yourself comfy!
6) Enjoy it!




No comments:

Post a Comment